Exploring Photos from the Bibby-Foust Collection
A previous article discussed photographs from the Tilman and Mary Ann “Hagenbuch” Foust family collected by Ethel Bibby. The Foust family lived in Milton, Pennsylvania. Mary Ann “Hagenbuch” Foust was born in 1842. Her father was William Hagenbuch (b. 1807), grandfather was Henry Hagenbuch (b. 1772), great grandfather was Michael (b. 1746), and great great grandfather was Andreas Hagenbuch (b. 1711) who came from Germany in 1737 and settled in Berks County, PA. The following is another sample of some of the more interesting photos from the Bibby-Foust collection.
This photo of the four Foust sisters was taken around 1910. Take notice of the crisp, white blouses and the broaches. Going left to right, first is Ella (b. 1869, d. 1940, m. 1888 to William Paul). Ella and William had one son: Tilman (b. 1889, m. Alice Hollingshead). The next sister is Lillian (b. 1881, d. 1941, m. 1905 to Edgar Reed). Lillian and Edgar had two children: Edgar (b. 1908, d. 1949) and Mary Ann (b. 1911, d. 1964). Both children were unmarried and died in the Northumberland County Home and Hospital, Shamokin, PA. Next is Mary Alice (b. 1879, d. 1945). Alice was unmarried and lived with her parents. On the right is Sarah (b. 1879, d. 1956, m. 1908 to Harry Bibby). Sarah and Harry had two daughters: Ethel (b. 1909, d. 1984, not married) and Ella (b. 1911, d. 1979, m. Warren Evans).
This boy dressed like little Lord Fauntleroy is Tilman Harrison Paul, son of William and Ella Rose “Foust” Paul. Tilman “Timmy” was born 1889 in Milton, PA and died in 1958. He married Alice Madge Hollingshead in 1913 and they had two children: Tilman, Jr. (b. 1914, d. 1946, m. Dorothy Pardoe, one daughter: Frances Elaine b. 1937) and Madge (b. 1916, m. John Storey, Jr., no children). This photo of “Timmy” Paul was taken about 1897.
This photo, taken about 1916, is of Mary Ann Reed, daughter of Edgar and Lillian “Foust” Reed. Mary Ann’s information appears above. There are many photos in the Foust-Bibby collection of Mary Ann and her brother, Edgar. As noted above, both children died as adults in the Northumberland County Home. They had a debilitating condition which effected them mentally and physically. On the back of this photo is the inscription: “Mary Ann Reed and her Dolly”. It is a classic photo with the doll and Mary Ann sharing the same look – curls, bows, and dresses.
Tilman and Mary Ann “Hagenbuch” Foust had four daughters and three sons. The sons were William (b. 1867), Harrison (b. 1871), and Oscar (b. 1875). This photo, taken about 1900, portrays Oscar standing on the right with four of his friends; the friends are unidentified. But, they are certainly “duded up” with their jaunty hats, ties, vests, and “devil may care” look about them. Oscar died in 1944. In 1892, he married Annie Jenkins and they had one son, Frederick Clark Foust (b. 1893). The 1920 census lists Oscar as a merchant in the oil business. By 1930 he was a “gas station employer”, most likely sharing ownership with his brother, William, of the previous Foust Livery Stable owned by their father, Tillman. By 1930, this was a gas station, garage, and storage for automobiles.
The middle son of Tilman and Mary Ann “Hagenbuch” Foust, Harrison “Harry” (b. 1871, d. 1946), was married in 1905 to Annie Wagner. Harry and Annie Foust had one child, Tilman Harrison Foust, who was married to Nadine Rush. The 1910 and 1920 censuses list Harrison as being a mail carrier in the Milton, Pennsylvania area.
William Foust was the eldest son of Tilman and Mary Ann “Hagenbuch” Foust. William was born in 1867, died in 1934, and married Annie Wilson in 1886. William and Annie had two children: Alice (b. 1888, d. 1951 and m. Herbert Willis) and Charles (b. 1892, d. date unknown, m. Elizabeth whose maiden name is unknown). Charles and Elizabeth had two daughters: Charlotte (b. 1914) and Anna (information unknown). In the 1920 census, William is listed as a foreman at his father Tilman’s livery stable which was located in Milton. In the 1930 census, William was then listed as a merchant in the auto storage business “working on his own account”. He likely shared the garage/gas station business with his brother, Oscar.
This photo, probably taken about 1925, is the companion piece to the photo from 1910 of the Foust Livery Stable which appeared in the previous article on the Bibby-Foust collection. That 1910 photo was of the building to the far left which in this photo now sports the marquee: Fousts Garage. The Foust family changed with the times as brothers William and Oscar developed the horse stabling business into a garage/storage/gas station for automobiles. By 1925, they had expanded the business to include the building to the right of the original livery stable and advertised a garage and car storage with a gas pump located in front. There are five men and a dog in this photograph. The man on the far right seems to be William Foust. The business marquee on the building he is standing in front of identifies it as a tinning and roofing shop. The first line with the owner’s name is difficult to read, although the first word appears to be “WILBUR” . Upon researching the 1920 census, it was found that Wilbur Phillips owned a tinning business in Milton. Also, note the advertisment for Pillsbury flour.
Future articles will highlight more of the special photographs that Ethel Bibby owned and were left to Mark Hagenbuch when she died in 1984. Many hours have already been spent researching and identifying photos in the collection. Many more hours will be invested marking these photos so that future generations may enjoy this large and unique collection of family memorabilia.